Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Keeping a garden journal

It's always important to keep a journal of what species you've planted in your yard and garden. If it's perennials, I keep the whole tag and tape it to my book. My fruit trees are all listed in a diagram in the order they are planted. Tags fade and I forget what plants I've planted where. Keeping track means that one keeps track of the plants successfully growing and plants that have failed in your garden. It's also important to keep track of where the tree or perennial was grown because often times the same plant will flourish somewhere else in your garden. I always keep track of how it was planted, the depth, if it was mulched and when it was last fertilized. There are some plants that are harder to grow in my hardy zone 3. I still have not given up on blueberries! I'm hoping my plants have survived yet another year this year. If not, it's back to research and try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment