Thursday, March 22, 2012

Adverse weather conditions and gardening

Gardening definitely makes a person aware of their surroundings. This is a quick photograph of a Waterspout tornado that was seen East of our place. It actually touched down about a 40 minute drive from our place. If you look closely...the spout goes all the way down. First time I`d ever seen one in my lifetime. Gardening is a gamble, we have lots of wonderful intentions when we put the seeds and plants in. Often then not, one bad storm can wipe out all your hard work. Hail is the worse culprit. Plants will recover from high winds and heavy rain, but large hail just destroys a garden. In all my years of gardening, it has never happened to me. Ive had some damage but never has my garden ever been totally wiped out. It helps when I put gallon plastic cans around my plants. It helps to plant plants closer together. Companion planting such as corn and squash planted close together also helps. I`m going to try square foot gardening this year as a test drive to see how successful it really is. Stay tuned for pictures and hopefully videos!

No comments:

Post a Comment