Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Everybody needs a greenhouse

The only thing I've ever used my greenhouse for was to start and protect seedlings while waiting for all danger of frost to pass.  I have tried to grow crops in the soil inside the greenhouse but it didn't really turn out, it was just too hot and not enough air. Even though I kept the door open and I had vents, it was simply too hot for plants. The bugs seemed to love the plants in the greenhouse too, especially the grasshoppers. When my plants have been started I throw them in the greenhouse so that they get more sunlight. I place a ceramic space heater in there and turn it on just enough to keep things from freezing. If it's going to be colder, I turn up the heat just to make sure I don't loose all my plants. Greenhouse plants get full sunlight and thus grow much stronger. Before setting them out in the garden after all danger of frost has passed, the seedlings have to be hardened off so that they suffer less from transplant shock. I usually get trays and place the plants on them so that they are easily moved from the greenhouse to the cruel outside world. It takes minimal effort to move them back into the greenhouse if frost may be a problem. If you don't have the space for a greenhouse, you can also buy a cold frame that does the same thing. The only thing is that I wouldn't put a heater into it, so the plants would be going out later than with a greenhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment