Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Fertilizing your roses

This is my grandmother's dream house, we bought it and it needed lots of TLC. On the left side of the front door was a rose bush that was over 6 feet high. It reminded me of the yellow rose bush I'd grown at the farm that was just as huge and covered in yellow blossoms. I'm not much of a believer in chemical fertilizers. They're chemical. Instead I use to save egg shells, banana peels and coffee grounds to feed my roses with. My roses went crazy and were covered in blooms. First of all, if I had overripe bananas, I would bury the whole rotten banana about 6 inches from the base of my rose bush. Banana peels do the same thing, it's the potassium that the roses love. I've read on the net, that some people put their rotten bananas through the blender with water and then add water to make a gallon and feed their roses in that manner. Sounds like a lot of work for a lazy gardener. Next, at work, I brought an ice cream pail and saved the coffee grounds. My roses loved that too. I just used it as mulch around my roses and the grounds slowly decomposed as the summer went on. A quarter cup of Epsom salts in a gallon of water, per rose bush, provides magnesium for the plant. Of course when one plants the rose bush, it has to be in fertile soil, with compost, manure mixed in with the soil to provide nutrition for your new bush. I've also used watered down organic fish fertilizer that came out in goops out of the gallon jug. It wasn't too pretty but my roses grew and bloomed profusely. I've just read that throwing a whole banana into the planting hole of a new rose does wonders. I'll have to try that.

No comments:

Post a Comment