Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Seed in the garden or Nursery plant?

Up here where I live, there is a very short growing season. Many of my garden plants are started by myself or I buy them at the local Nursery. Tomatoes need to be started in the house or bought at the garden center. They transplant well and a head start on growing means that I get more tomatoes at harvest than I would otherwise. I did test drive my theory as a lady I knew said that she just seeded her tomatoes in the garden directly and still had a bountiful crop. So I planted some tomatoes directly and others were from the nursery. The Nursery plants won hands down, I had bigger and more tomatoes with the Nursery plants. Zucchini plants on the other hand, I always seed directly into the garden. Yes, the ones I bought from the Nursery still grew but the plant was not healthy and it hardly produced. So this year, I'm going to test my theory...I've started a lot of the vines in fibregrow pots. When Spring has sprung and all danger of frost has passed, I will be transplanting the vine that I've started in the fibregrow pots and beside that, I will direct seed the vine. I want to see if there really is a difference in size and quantity or was it really just growing conditions from that particular growing season.  By vines, I mean pumpkins, gourds, cukes....  Those particular plants don't like having their roots disturbed so if I plant them in fibregrow pots, will those pots deteriorate quickly enough so that the vine can grow like mad or will the fibrepot impede growth. I have tried peat pots where one fills with soil and then starts a seed...but I found that the pot impeded the growth. Plants like peas and beans and corn are short season crops so those seeds go directly into the ground no problem. But those vegetable crops that need a bit more time, buying at the garden center or starting your own is actually one of the ways to get a jump start.

4 comments:

  1. I just started some tomato plants in the house from seeds I had saved from last year's crop. I usually buy from the nursery. I'm curious to see whether I will have any success with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to keep me updated! Mine are all in pots and ready for water!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm seeing a little green in one of the pots. So, there a little hope still.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you saved the seeds, did you put them in a bowl to wash them off? The good seeds will float and the immature seeds will sink. FYI

    ReplyDelete