Thursday, March 15, 2012

Tiger's Eye Sumac

On a Spring shopping expedition in the city a couple of years ago, I found this wonderful plant called a Tiger's Eye. It kind of looked like a fern...so on an impulse I bought it. I liked it so much, I went back and got a second one. I do that sometimes, I buy what I like. After some research I found it was a tree, a new Sumac variety to be precise. If you google Tiger's eye sumac image...you'll have a better idea of what it looks like, since I don't have a photograph of mine. It grows slowly, which surprised me and that is what the info on the web says too. On the tag, it said it should grow to about 6 feet tall and look like a bush. I planted it in my clay soil on the north side of the house in full sun. Nothing special, I was in a hurry, planted the tree and watered it well...that's it. I live in Zone 3a and it's suppose to be hardy in Zone 4 to 8. Both trees have survived two winters already. They aren't mulched because I haven't had time to do so. I've had comments that it looks like a Chinese Tree. I just ordered two Wisteria plants from down East and I'm going to see if they survive here in the Wild West. I like to push the boundaries when it comes to planting plants in my yard. Makes me get excited about gardening all over again....every time Spring rolls around!

No comments:

Post a Comment