Monday, April 23, 2012

First tick of the season...blech!

He's inside a plastic baggie, waiting for his demise when I burn garbage tomorrow. Ticks are unsquishable, so the easiest for me is to dispose of him is to put him in the incinerator. It has an itty bitty head, but don't be fooled, it can cause great damage.
My seed potatoes were ready to go and so my husband and I put in three rows. We had tilled the garden two weeks ago to kill the first crop of weeds. Then we tilled it again to kill the second crop of weeds. Potatoes love soft soil so that they have room to grow. Our seed potatoes are scab free and are left overs from last year's crop. In all my gardening years, I have never had such a poor crop as last year when we had so much rain and flooding...then drought. The clay soil turned hard as rock. Gardening was a challenge last year. We will wait until the potatoes are up in about 3 weeks and then we will hill and mulch them. One year we believed what we had read on the web and never hilled the potatoes before mulching them. We had huge, easy to dig potatoes, but they were green! So hill them before mulching them we will!

No comments:

Post a Comment