Monday, May 21, 2012

Boxes for raised gardens are made!

The boxes are 4 feet by 8 feet and made out of 2 by 10s (Spruce or Fir). They are screwed together with a 2 by 2 block in each corner for reinforcement. Because these raised beds are for vegetables, the wood used is not treated. The bottoms of each box are covered with non metal screening (we used nylon) so that it does not rust.
The screening is tacked in place with a heavy duty stapler.
My finished boxes in the garden, waiting to be filled with soil, manure and wood shavings. The soil was raked underneath to provide a nice smooth surface. Enough room was left between the boxes so that we can pass our rototiller around to control weeds. I can't wait to get started.


Many websites use newspaper at the bottom of the boxes to prevent weeds from coming through. If these were for flowers, that's exactly what I would have done, but these are for growing food and I researched the components of the ink and I prefer to take the safe route.


I have my garden completely planted already, some of my bedding plants are already out. Growing food in raised beds is an experiment for me. If this goes as well as I've read, there will be a whole lot more raised beds next year! But just in case, I planted the other part of my garden the old fashioned way....

No comments:

Post a Comment