Friday, August 24, 2012

Blossom End Rot

Blossom end rot on tomatoes is often the result of uneven watering and calcium deficiency. Some years, I don't get any but other years like this year, I get a few. These blossom end rot tomatoes appeared in my raised boxes. I'm not really a fan of raised boxes in the garden, they were a trial run. I had used a container soil with extra manure but I think next year, I'm going to put a layer of top soil in them instead. So as a recap to my earlier post on tomatoes, plant your young tomato plants with a couple of tablespoons of crushed egg shell at the bottom of the hole, place a handful of soil on top of the egg shells and transplant your tomato plants. Water less and more often, but don't soak the plants because tomatoes don't like wet feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment