Friday, May 3, 2013

Spring cleanup!

Finally the snow is almost gone and it's time to clean up the perennial beds. I thought the snow was never going to disappear!



Now that the snow has melted, one can see little bits of green poking through last year's dead growth. Before the plants get any larger, I will be cleaning up all the old growth and throwing the dead plant leaves and stocks into my composter. After such a long and dreary Winter, it just feels wonderful to see bits of green. 

It's good to remember that not all plants start growing as soon as it warms up. They may look dead, but that doesn't mean that they are. So make sure to give you plants some time to catch up. Once you know that nothing is going to grow, then you can replace the dead plant with new nursery stock. 

My garden is still buried under snow. I hope to be able to see my Strawberries tomorrow afternoon and hopefully my chives.

Spring is finally here!

No comments:

Post a Comment