Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Growing Kale

I grew Kale for the first time in my garden last year. I've read how much of a super food it really is. So what does one do with the stuff once it's growing in your garden? Keep it simple.

Kale is a member of the cabbage family. It grows really well in our Saskatchewan climate. All I did was till the soil and transplant the little Kale plants I got from the greenhouse and watered. I have never been able to find Kale seeds. I was reading Dr. Terry Wahls' website (www.terrywahls.com) and she's had some amazing results eating Kale.

I have to admit the only green thing I grew up eating was garden lettuce and yes, I ate a ton of it at every meal. But other greens I've had to acquire a taste for. I started with Spinach and graduated to Swiss Chard and now I'm trying Kale. Finding recipes for Kale has been trying.

These are some of the Kale plants in my Garden:
The plant itself is not very pretty. The leaves are thick and almost rubbery. They are very easy to pull off the base and wash up quickly. My son started adding a couple of leaves to our juicing. It's definitely green tasting. I have a glass of green juice every day...it's an acquired taste! What is amazing is that I feel better in a couple of hours, less fatigued. I now have a lot of Kale in my garden, because well, I bought six plants. What else can I do with it?

I found a simple recipe that sounded good. I picked 6 large leaves of Kale, washed it and then took off everything around the large middle vein and tore it up into large pieces and discarded the vein (my horses got it in their veggie pail...nothing wasted!) I had some green onion tails so I chopped up about 1.4 cup, added 6 minced garlic cloves and the torn pieces of kale with a couple tablespoons of olive oil into my stir fry pan. Stir fried for about 5 minutes until the Kale was tender and served it to my guys with their supper.

The above was the result and it was devoured by my crew! My guys ate it with no salt, but I think for me, a bit of salt may have added to the dish. It doesn't taste like anything I've ever had. The onions and the garlic certainly made the Kale taste better.

I was amazed how fast Kale grows, it almost grows as fast as the weeds in my garden. The only problem I have is that the little black canola beetles like it too...so I have to powder them once they start showing up because they will strip the plant bare.

Now I just have to figure out how to freeze it without losing all the nutrients!

No comments:

Post a Comment