Monday, February 17, 2014

Third time is the charm! Growing a lemon tree

 If you look really closely, there are little green specs and they are lemon seeds sprouting and growing! I have tried this three times and finally, I have success!
The secret to my success is a plastic grocery bag when you buy fruit and veggies at the grocery store. After visiting several web sites with how to's on how to grow a lemon tree, this is what works!

1) Fill a pot with potting soil.
2) Wet the soil thoroughly and let drain.
3) Press lemon seeds into the soil and cover.
4) Cover the pot with a plastic bag to create a mini green house
5) Place in a sunny window to warm the soil
6) Periodically, add water ... enough to keep the soil moist but not soggy. It must not dry out.
7) Most importantly: When removing the seeds from the lemon, place in a bowl with water to cover the seeds...do not let them dry out! Plant the day that you harvest the seeds from the lemon.

From what I can see, once all danger of frost has passed, the lemon trees can go outside for the summer until frost threatens in the fall. So far, I have 8 little lemon trees growing. I'm going to let them get started and then I will transplant them to each their own pots.

What kind of lemon seeds did I use? I bought organic lemons at the grocery store, not the Meyer lemons because I don't like their taste.

I love growing things that I normally don't get to grow! Grow my little lemon trees, grow!

Going to try growing an orange tree now! We shall see how that goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment